Monday 1 March 2010

Breakfast TV and late night drinks

Today I watched a bit of breakfast TV. I turned on just in time to see that Aoi Yu has a new sponsorship deal. I didn't get the brand name - it's a kind of drink.

Then I watched the morning unfold with sports news (the Olympics are over) and something about the Japanese Wikipedia not being as big as the English one (this is news?) and an awful lot of celebrity bits. One story seemed to be about an actor who'd died. I heard the word "shinde" as they were talking about it, but when they showed the newspaper article the story was taken from, I couldn't see the kanji for "shinu" in the headline. Plus, the story in the paper beside it seemed to be about a girl wearing a bikini punching the air, so I was kind of distracted.

Apart from that, I've found a nice bar near my hotel. I've been in both nights so far, and they seem to be a friendly bunch. Last night I sat beside a very drunk salaryman who ploughed through several whiskies and veered from English to Japanese and back again as he spoke to me. The staff are friendly too, although the owner doesn't like Bump of Chicken: "too pop", he says. But his unfeasibly attractive girlfriend, who was working there last night, does like BoC so what does he know?

2 comments: