Tuesday 17 May 2011

Currently watching: Lie To Me

I don’t have much experience with Korean dramas, but am I right in thinking that they often include a wedding/engagement being ruined by someone’s infidelity? Usually at the last minute? This drama starts with such a scene, even though it has nothing do with the rest of the episode. It’s as if the writers handed in the script, and then the producer said “It’s good, but where’s the wedding? Can’t we have a marriage that gets ruined? People love that stuff!” And so the writers just squeezed it in before the actual story begins.











The storyline is: ditzy woman falls in love with sophisticated, rich, powerful man. They’re thrown together in a great big misunderstanding and it’s all “will-they, won’t-they” for the rest of the series. So it’s not the most original storyline, and the show reminds me of My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon, especially with the lead actress Yoon Eun Hye having a similar style of comedy to Kim Sun Ah.

Despite the lack of originality, I’m two episodes into the series and this is a lot of fun. Yoon Eun Hye is pretty funny and has energy to spare, but the male lead (played by Kang Ji Hwan) hasn’t had to do anything so far except look rich and/or annoyed.

The problem is that I don’t think the basic story can last for the whole length of the series. Even My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon ran out of steam after around twelve episodes. So the success of this show probably relies on the sub-plots, which haven’t even started yet. There’s something about an ex-fiancée and a trouble-making brother of the rich family, but nothing definite yet. In the meantime, I’ll watch it for the chuckles and I'll try to ignore the feeling of deja vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment