Tuesday 7 May 2013

Still watching: Sennyu Tantei Tokage

Three episodes in and this has become a guilty pleasure. There's no doubting that this is not a drama for people who like clever dialogue, deep characters or even stories that make sense. On the other hand, I can't fault its unashamed lack of interest in such things. It has energy, and it rushes forwards with great urgency, even if there's not much of an ending to rush towards. Three episodes in, and the motive never seems suitable for such a serious crime.


It makes no sense that criminals can't shoot straight, or that undercover agents dress entirely in black to break into a well-lit apartment on a sunny day. But equally, I've found myself getting quite caught up in the moment, even getting a bit excited at a couple of scenes.

But perhaps its main benefit to me is how easy it is to sub. The clichés come tumbling out, one after the other, and it doesn't need much time to come up with something suitable. To be honest, I think I could sub just the first twenty-five minutes and then leave the rest unsubbed, and people with only the barest grasp of Japanese would be able to watch to the end.


And although the subs are easy, I do find myself finding excuses that mean I don't have to do them. For example, today before I sat down to do some subbing, I decided to take down the shelves in the bathroom and give them a good clean. I mean, they won't wash themselves, right? I think this kind of blatant delaying tactic says something about the show. If I wasn't subbing this, would I watch it? I don't think so, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment