Saturday 20 July 2013

Just finished: Galileo 2

When I started this blog I promised myself two things: One, I wouldn’t watch something just so I could review it and two, I wouldn’t force myself to write a review of something I had seen.

And that’s the problem I have now. This series has just drifted past my eyes in a pleasant but unremarkable manner, and now it’s finished I don’t really have anything to say about it. This, in itself, is quite a criticism.


Yoshitaka Yuriko was not a great replacement for Shibasaki Kuo (or even Kitamura Kazuki). Her character was too ill-defined, bossing around her superior at work but whining at the genius scientist. And as for the scientist, Fukuyama Masaharu can comfortably walk through each episode without really trying. It was up to his assistant, played by Watanabe Ikkei, to inject a little energy into the show.


And the two-part finale was a disappointment. It was a lot better than the slightly silly finale of series one, but I couldn’t help but notice that the solution wasn’t very scientific. But it was nice to see Aoi Yu back on TV in episode 8, playing an actress who used to be popular but, after a couple of dud films, isn’t so famous any more. I wonder how she prepared for that role...

2 comments:

  1. Japan's peaked time seems to be in the 19-early 20s. Nounen Rena seems to fit that timeline ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, women in their early twenties tend to get roles for women who are in their thirties. Even if it looks absurd.

    ReplyDelete