Wednesday 18 June 2014

Recommended: Border

In amongst all my recent distractions (work, filming, Fargo and the World Cup as well as others) one Japanese TV series has kept my attention while the others have fallen by the wayside, even though I plan on finishing them one day.

Borders managed to keep me interested. I had my doubts about the premise: a cop who can see the dead, but it was handled in such a way that you forgot how silly it all is very quickly. The detective’s inability to admit where his information comes from causes some concern with his colleagues, and he relies more and more on dubious policing tactics, especially in the final episode where he knows who the killer is, but can’t do anything without any evidence.


Oguri Shun’s acting was spot on as his character declined mentally and physically. The rest of the cast were good, too, but as the series progressed, it became less of an ensemble piece as the events focused more on Oguri Shun.

As for the ending... well, there wasn’t one. This is clearly leading to a second series or a film to continue the story. Which is fine. I’m totally okay with more of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment